THe One call do it all company

The best of the best with over 30 years in the industry

Should you use bleach to clean mold???

Chlorine bleach is often regarded as the answer for removing and halting mold growth. It is usually the first thing many reach for when cleaning a mold contaminated area. While bleach may be effective in certain applications, it will not exonerate mold on a porous surface. Bleach can actually contribute negatively to certain mold problems.

Chlorine bleach rapidly looses its effectiveness. If you leave a glass of chlorinated water out on the counter for a few days, the chlorine will evaporate. This happens within the container as well. This evaporation process indicates that it will be hard to ascertain the true potency of your chlorine bleach solution, as the chlorine can escape through plastic. It may have been sitting at the store, or in your home for some time, diminishing the ability to perform.

Chlorine bleach can only kill surface mold. Because mold can grow deep roots within porous surfaces such as wood and drywall, bleach will not assist you in exterminating mold. The chlorine cannot penetrate to destroy the growth at its roots; it remains on the surface while the water component of the bleach reaches further, which can actually feed the mold growth.

For Example: you see mold on your tile and or grout on your tub or shower. You spray it with bleach it appears white and clean...In a few days or less we are back where we started "MOLD" why, because you discolored it and also fed it as Bleach is 99% water. And water is one of the main components necessary for the growth of mold. Mold has enzyme roots growing inside porous materials, but the ionic structure of bleach itself prevents chlorine from penetrating into these materials. The chlorine just stays on the outside surface. However, the water content penetrates and actually feeds the mold. That’s why a few days later you’ll notice darker, more concentrated mold growing again on the bleached area.

The most effective method to get rid of visible mold is by removing the affected areas. That means you need to remove and replace any contaminated porous and wood-based materials, including paneling, tack strip, baseboards, drywall, ceiling tiles, carpeting, upholstered furniture, clothing, and paper. Removing mold found on studs and floor joists involves HEPA vacuuming, sanding the affected areas, applying an antimicrobial, making sure the affected areas are completely dry, HEPA vacuuming again, then sealing them with products specifically designed for that purpose.

BE CAREFUL! Unfortunately, the time you are most likely to stir up spores and be exposed is the very time you are trying to clean up your mold problem. That’s when you need to be the most careful. If the area is small and well defined, clean up can be done by you, as long as you are free of any health symptoms or allergies, and as long as you take measures to protect yourself (and the rest of your home) during the cleaning process. You need to set up a containment barrier to enclose the area you are working on. You need to wear a proper respirator, wear gloves, and wear googles. You need to make sure that you don’t contaminate the rest of your home when you remove the moldy materials.